A Foot in The Mouth

tirsdag 15. februar 2011

*BANG* The sound was like a knife through the air and she blinked over and over again. It had happened, right? The sinking feeling in her stomach only grew stronger and stronger where she sat. Wasn’t it possible to just jump up and down and then everything would be okay? Or sneeze the feeling out? That would be something more than helpful. She continued to sit there, just staring in front of her. Her head was feeling dizzy, but she wasn’t really dizzy, was she? It was more a feeling of anger mixed with disappointment. Of course, she had put her foot into her mouth yet another time.

I believe many can relate to this to a certain point. We all say more than what we thought of at times. Typical, isn’t it? I find the phrase of putting your foot into your mouth rather good because it symbolizes you action in a way that normally many would find hard to describe.

What I mean with this is that we often say things we maybe shouldn’t have said. We have the type of people saying bad things or things that hurt which they understand can be bad, but we all do. We regret, say sorry and tried to leave it with that.

Now, let me explain something else I thought about; the reason why I wrote this. In conversations, people will often have strong opinions and they want to defend their opinions. Are you with me so far? Okay, let’s continue. The conversation goes on, but after some time, you will see that it’s changed. The change is hard to describe, but you understand that the defending of each person’s views comes more clearly out. But keep in mind; this is still a conversation, not an argument.

At this point, I think people often can put their foot into their mouth. Either they can defend their point of view rather strongly or they say too much. Note, by saying too much, it does not mean what they are saying is negative. Now, let’s jump to the point where the conversation is ended.

Here you are sitting, understanding you said too much. Basically, you did put your foot into your mouth. In my case, it’s often caused by a comment from others. It makes me see what I just said, and I am frightened. I am frightened that I said too much. But there is this deeper feeling under it as well; I just wanted to tell MY opinion, didn’t I?

Thoughts like “Why can’t I express my opinions like others?” and “What am I doing wrong” are coming over me like the shadow of a wave. Yes, it all becomes a wave. Why does everything I try to say get wrong?

I strongly dislike that feeling.

She stared in front of her for quite some time before the tears busted out again. Another day, another cry.

3 Quips and Anecdotes:

Anonym sa...

Great post, and so true! This happens to me more frequently than I'd like, and it really frustrates me. Sometimes I don't know if I said the wrong thing, or if (like you said) I was saying the right thing but in the wrong way or with too many words. I'm a much better writer than speaker, I think. :P

Marian sa...

Oh, by the way, that was me who just commented. :)

Lilly sa...

I just wanted to drop by and say, I love you Marthe! And that was a very good blog post.

Legg inn en kommentar