In Memory

torsdag 28. juli 2011

It’s been some days now, and most of you know the terrible thing that’s happen to Oslo and Utøya in Norway. Words cannot explain how terrible it was. My country and its people are affect, but most of all, it’s the young ones and their freedom who was attacked. As a result, many innocents are now dead and will not return to their homes on this earth. I believe I just have to post something about it because I need to talk about yesterday because I cannot keep it to myself alone.

Yesterday, there was a concert in my city to honor the dead ones and their families. There were speeches and song. We are under 50.000 citizens here; 15.000 to 18.000 people met to the concert. That’s one of three and even more. We walked from my school, down to the city itself and up to the park. We may have walked for ten to fifteen minutes and when we got to the park, not everybody had started walking yet because there were so many. In addition to this, everybody carried roses.

To see the flag on half mast; it really broke my heart. One cannot explain it and I wasn’t even in Oslo or on Utøya. I didn’t lose any family members and the one that was on Utøya; she survived. The concert, I believe, was beautiful. At the end, Halvdan Sivertsen, the most well known artist from my city, came up to the stage and sang this. It’s a song about freedom, equality and hope. It’s everything the murderer is against. Words cannot explain how beautiful it was to watch him sing and have all the others around you, singing it with him. Everybody knew the song and sang, waving their roses. Several thousands stood together united in love.

I just wanted to post this because this tragedy is something you can’t imagine. I am weeping for the ones affected. Death is a terrible thing and murder is even worse. We may be few, but we will not break. May God be with the ones that suffers and take care of those in need. We in Norway are standing together, united in love.

I wanted to post this because I believe this is something to think about. “When a man can show so much hatred, think about how much love we can show.”

Thank you.

2 Quips and Anecdotes:

Ajnos Gamgee sa...

*snugs Queen* I can't imagine what it is like. Although similarly atrocious things have happened in my country, the worst was mostly over before I was born and certainly before I was old enough to know what was going on.

Sure we have daily and very high crime rates - but many small horrors are easier to digest than one large one. I can't even begin to think what it's like to have something like this happen in such a peaceful country. We learn to live with the small fears, but having something like this thrown at you from nowhere must be absolutely terrifying.

Just remember that, though it doesn't seem like it, God is still in control and he can bring hope and unification out of this tragedy (as happened in other situations like 9/11 and the Haiti and Japanese earthquakes). Not to say God wants these things to happen, but often when they do, he can draw goodness out of what was "meant for evil" (as Joseph says to his 11 brothers in Genesis.

You've already shown that this is happening in the songs that are being sung.

May God bring you and your nation through this and may you come out of it the stronger.

Ajjie >'.'<

Anonym sa...

Oh, Marthe. I was in tears as I read this. And I am praying for you, and I am praying for Norway.

I am deeply sorry for you, for your nation, for those who lost loved ones. Sometimes there are things too terrifying and excruciating to be put into words, and I believe this occurrence was one of those things. But your words bring hope amongst the suffering, your roses and songs and tributes to those whose lives were lost. All your love. And what you said is so very true: "We may be few, but we will not break."

I am praying with you, weeping with you, and sending all my love to Norway.

Legg inn en kommentar