Archie and his Companions

torsdag 12. mai 2011

Okay, I admit it. Abigail tempted me, and I wanted to do something similar as she did. However, I haven’t asked her yet (I’m sorry, Abigail!), but I hope she won’t mind too much. However than putting up Archie (my bookshelf), I shall put up a few of my own books. These are books I own; some of them I’ve bought myself while others have been gifts. I wanted to present a few of my books that I adore in one way or another, for then putting down a few words about them.

World History
This, as you may see, is a book in Norwegian. I got it for Christmas one year, and it’s been with me ever since. It’s, obviously, a book about all important historical events that’s happen since the time of Jesus Christ, but never is religion mentioned. Well, it’s told which religion people did follow, but it’s not explained any further. Also, even though it may tell about awful happenings, it’s clean, brilliant when it comes to facts and I would say everybody can read it without being hurt or offended in any ways. There are also lovely pictures; for instance from The Middle Age and The English Civil War.



Winnie-the-Pooh on New Adventures
Of course I had to mention this book. I don’t know when I got it, but I was a little girl, I’m sure. It’s published by Disney and based on one of the well known movies which also were made by Disney. As you may see, this is also in Norwegian. Small stories about him are collected into a big one and I would absolutely say it fits for anyone. You cannot help sitting there, thinking “Daww!” and “Ooh!”. At least, I know I can’t. It’s a delightful read with clean language, nothing offensive and adorkable characters. Is it weird I adore it? (The page numbers you may see are made by BabyMarthe.)

Kitties
It’s mah kitty book! The book contains adorable pictures of small kitties as well as quotes from famous and not so famous people. It belonged to me dead grandmother, but after her death, it was given to me. I don’t know why I was the one who got it, but it’s safe to say that I’ve enjoyed it more then what I actually thought I would. It’s a book I take up when I’m sad or happy; bored or not. You will easily understand when I’m reading it. The only word in my vocabulary in French, English or Norwegian, “DAWW!” is all I can say. I truly do love it, and I feel blessed to own it.

The Chronicles of Narnia
You saw this coming, didn’t you? I’m known for adoring Narnia, at the same time I’m collecting everything that has anything with Narnia to do. C.S. Lewis has written a beautiful allegory divided by seven books; each telling a beautiful story. My first meeting with it all, wasn’t the very best. A mournful girl at 9 years picked it up at the library because she couldn’t find anything better and since that, it’s become one of the most important things in her life. I believe everyone knows what I’m thinking, and if they don’t... They should read Narnia. Yes, this is in fact the dearest books to me except the Bible. It has followed be until now, and I know it shall continue to follow me, which I’m very thankful of. ^.^

The Gammage Cup
This cannot be a big surprise, can it? It’s written by Carol Kendall and the book was given to me last Christmas. In the Land Between the Mountains, you can find the village Slipper-on-the-Water. It’s a peaceful place where the Minnipins live, unaware of the fears lurking around. However, when Muggles wakes up one night and faces a special event, everything changes. I don’t know where to start, because this book is nothing but adorable. It’s clean, funny and it has some brilliant characters. It’s written from a point of view which may be seen as simple, but if you sit down and read, you’ll soon understand that it’s not as simple as you though. I absolutely think others should read it, but they won’t get my copy!

Little Women
This book is written by Louisa May Alcott and it tells the story about the four sisters; Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy March. The March sisters are living during The Civil War in America, and because of this, they’ll have to face ups and downs. I was slightly sceptical at first, but the characters, especially the March sisters, are so interesting in their own way. None of them are the same, I adore the differences among them and how the author has captured it. It’s not secret I adore Beth March because of her gentle and shy character, and this makes me believe that every girl can find some of herself in at least one of the sisters. It’s funny, clean; yes, everything I believe a book should be. It’s a piece well worth to read.

Boxen
Here we come to a book I haven’t read just yet. It’s written by C.S. Lewis and his brother W.H. Lewis and it’s about their imaginary land and all the creatures you can find there. I’ve just looked over it, and it’s amazing to realize that this was created by two young children. Around the book, you’ll find pictures made by the two brothers. Believe me, Warnie was an exceptional artist. The writing does also seem to have some depth and it’s through a charming book when it comes to the look of it. It shall be delightful to be able to read it, as soon as I’ve got time, of course.

Here you see some of my very favourite books, and yes, they’re the ones I can read over and over again, and never get tired. ^.^
The pictures are taken by me, but the book and their covers do belong to their proper owners. No copyright infringement intended. These pictures are only for personal use, and shall not be spread further. Thank you.

2 Quips and Anecdotes:

Lilly sa...

OOOH! I love it, Marthe!

Anonym sa...

Awww, Marthe. Your Special Books, are simply lovely, and it was a joy to read about them. ^.^

And on the Gammage Cup:

"It’s written from a point of view which may be seen as simple, but if you sit down and read, you’ll soon understand that it’s not as simple as you thought."

I must say, I could not agree with you more on that point. That book is so dear, so dear to my heart. I plan on reading it to my young brothers soon. ^.^

Legg inn en kommentar