Amazing Grace and John Newton

torsdag 13. januar 2011

It is a song we know so well, especially we Christians. But to many, it is just a song. You listen to it, put it away when it’s over and move on. Doesn’t that sound familiar? I know it does for me in many situations. However, I want to write a proper post about this hymn. This is dedicated to Jenny, a very dear friend of mine. This post is also for them who may love Amazing Grace as well as the story behind it.

The hymn Amazing Grace was published in 1779. It was written by John Newton. In the beginning, he was both a slave trader and an English captain. His father was a shipmaster, while his mother was a Nonconformist Christian. However, she died when John was rather young. His got his first meeting with the sea when he was around eleven years old, and after this, his father wanted him to do to work on a sugar plantation. John however, had other plans. As I already mentioned, he signed into a merchant ship.

During this time, he was captured, and forced into the Royal Navy. While being a midshipman on the HMS Harwich, it brought many troubled episodes on him which would later affect his life. The time was so hard, and he even thought about suicide. Thankfully he recovered, and was transferred to the slave ship Pegasus. Also here, I ended in trouble. He was sent to West Africa, was abused and so on. The poor man was saved in 1748.

It was the same year that while being on his way back to England, his ship was filled with water. He cried out to God. When he came home, he started to read the Bible. I am sure it must have woken something in him, and he accepted the doctrines of Evangelical Christianity. While stopping with things as gambling and drinking, he continued with the slave trade. The man felt sorry for them, but nothing was done yet. While he was in Africa in 1748/49, he was sick. It was during this he asked God for help, and he said “That he was at totally at peace with God.”

It was first in 1954 he stopped with sailing, but he didn’t leave the slaving operations. He studied while being in England, and in 1764, he became a priest. He became known to many great people, and William Wilberforce is maybe one of them we’ll remember the most. A lot is to be told about his later years, but that is something I won’t bring up now. I rather want to mention Amazing Grace.

It is said that the song was written for a sermon in 1973, but one can’t quite tell exactly how it was. If one studies the song and John Newton, there are many similarities and it’s no secret that it’s based on his actions and experiences. The song is about that we can receive forgiveness and redemption, no matter our sins. The soul can be delivered from despair through the mercy of God. That is so much more than what we can ask for!

Look at John Newton. By looking at his life, he was a sinner, but this man wrote the hymn that so many loves. He changed; he found God. He was saved. “Was blind, but now I see.” Isn’t that true? I believe so. We can’t see without God because He is the Truth. God will open our eyes. And when we come Home, the we will see.

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
'Twas grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home

We are here for just a time, but at the end, we will go home. God leads us to so many things which we never could have managed without Him. The Grace is carrying us, and as John Newton once said: “The Grace will lead me Home.”

The song tells about His mercy, His love and that He will take care of us. We know it, but we need to be reminded about it. And this song, it is so special to many of us exactly because it tells about how great out God is. Not only is it beautiful, but the message is so true and important to us. Just think about it. Just sit down and listen to the song.

The Lord is merciful.
“But God, who call'd me here below,
Will be forever mine.”

2 Quips and Anecdotes:

Jenny Freitag sa...

Oh, thank you, Marthe! You know how much this song means to me. I cannot sing it without seeing Rhodri at the pianoforte playing its tune. You're such a darling - thank you for the historical background. I hadn't look it up myself, though I don't know why. It is nice to hear it from you: perhaps that's why I never looked it up myself before. :P

Further up and further in, as Jewel said!

Marthe sa...

Aww, I'm so glad you liked it. I didn't think about looking up the whole story, but when I dragged out the page to make sure I had the right year for when the song was published, I could not help reading. The story about John Newton was far more special than what I had thought. There are few times I actually write down what I can find. I am blaming you. :P

But it was the smallest thing I could do. Also, it felt so better to sit down, read and write about it. It was a /joy/ to do it. I'm so glad you liked it. ^.^

Legg inn en kommentar