Writing Challange - Day Four and Five

søndag 7. august 2011

I am amazingly slow, eh? There’s me in a nutshell. Well, I shall try to catch up with the writing challenge, but if I don’t manage, please bear with me. I believe you know the drill, but to bring it up: The challenge is hosted by Lerowen from Eat...Sleep...Write. A specific subject is to be explored each day (for 15 days) and more information is to be found if you click the link. I thought about taking two days together here; day four and five. Now, if I can come up with some answers that actually can work for something. Oh well, here we go.
Day four - A novel or author that has inspired something in your writing style

I’ve always thought that I was influenced by characters and series when it came to my writing style. I saw something I couldn’t let go of, and brought it to something I wanted to form. From my point of view, that’s always been me. Lately though, I’ve discovered songs and persons I’ve taken under my wing. It may sound odd, but Lord Nathan came from a picture. Yes, a single picture I stumbled over and knew nothing about. To discover who it was; that was a surprise to me because I saw him as my character and my character alone.

But a novel or an author? I always wanted the carefulness of Austen, the melancholy of Dickens, the adventures of Verne, the setting of Forester, the sweetness of Alcott, the feel of Lawhead and the bittersweetness of Lewis. Has this ever made its mark on my work? I doubt it.

I’ve always grasped higher than what I should; having grand drams. The reality never seems to wake me in my dreams. The reality however, can be brutal. I’ve never known how my writing style is because I don’t see it myself. I don’t see things in my own writing before others points it out to me. I fear I cannot tell you who my writing style is inspired by because I doubt it will show, but I can tell who I would love to learn from.

“I cannot tell who it was, but I know there several of them there.”

And then we've got more!
Day Five - Your least favorite character you've written
Seeing this question, I just want to turn into Smirkana. I thought this question would be hard to answer, but thinking about it; not really. The question can mean so much; am I thinking about how hard they were to write or that I dislike their personality? There are many characters that I’ve wanted to throw out of the window, but there is one character that really stands out. Not many have met her, and nobody knows who she really is. I’ve kept silent about her character because I don’t want to say too much, but that’s not all; I can’t stand her.

Oh yes, we’re talking about Lady Lucy. For those who can recall her name, she is the person James met by the door. Now, why do I dislike her that much? To begin with, she is hard to write. It’s hard to place the words correctly because not only is she an important character; she’s a character with two sides. I want the sides to be recognizable in her, but I also want to hide them. It’s so much harder than what I thought it would be, but I cannot change her character. Then I would ruin everything. I also believe I find her hard to write since there is something in her I can see in the daily life. To point it out in a clever way; how does one do so? I don’t want to say it right out, but I don’t want to make it too obvious either.

She may be seen as a very sweet person, but I don’t see her like that. No, even though she’s far from evil, I can’t make myself like her. I believe one of the reasons I disk lie her, is because (almost) everybody else in my story likes her. Am I jealous? No, I’m not. However, I believe I’ve seen both of her sides and I believe her position is unfair. Justice is one of the repeating themes I believe she’s an example of how, we as humans, can be wrong about others. I admit I may be a bit angry at the blindness of the other characters in terms of seeing Lucy, but I let the anger lead to her. She’s the example of the blindness, and the blindness upset me in the daily life.

Now you may ask me, is this enough to dislike a person as much as I do? Probably not, but that’s because it’s not everything. I’m afraid I cannot say more than this, but it will be revealed. Just wait.
“You keep turning to them, but when you have turned away, they don’t seem to care much.”

1 Quips and Anecdotes:

Anonym sa...

First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head before writing. I've had trouble clearing my mind in getting my
ideas out there. I do take pleasure in writing however it
just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost just
trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips?
Thanks!

Check out my homepage ... student private krankenversicherung

Legg inn en kommentar