Jill Pole (Part 1)

tirsdag 25. mai 2010

Well, this is something completely different from what I use to write here. This is rather my thoughts about dear Jill Pole from The Chronicles of Narnia. Yes, for I think that all of you have read the Silver Chair and The Last Battle. The brave girl, with the pure heart.

Of course, Aslan will always be my favorite character. No doubt about that. As number two, I will have to say Lucy because of personal reasons. But then you have Jill. She has been growing a lot for me lately. Lets start with her crying behind the gym. Poor little girl, it's always horrible to stand alone and having people after you. I'm not quite sure if the Gang used to hit her, but I know they used words. (Both Jeanne, Dana and Jenny have written something about it, and it's absolutely worth to read it. I suggest it at the hardest.) Sometimes, words can hurt so much. I think many have experienced this before, and by that knows how Jill must have felt it. I know how it is to stand behind the gym, crying. Believe me, that is an awful experience. But still, I have a lot of respect for Jill.

When they arrive Narnia, Eustace fall of the cliff. Jill wanted to show that she was brave. Why? Maybe she wanted to prove herself to Eustace, or maybe even to herself? There are time when you need to show yourself that you actually can do something. You are not just a stupid girl, you want other to respect you, and you want to see that you have "talents" if I can say it like that. Myself, I am so stressed with school and I am afraid of doing something wrong. A Lady (some of you know who I am talking about) asked me why it was like that. I didn't have a special answer but I cam to think something like that is my way to show that I am just not a stupid girl. Homework's was something I could work with alone, and I could so what I wanted. And people didn't need to criticize me when I was doing them, right? So maybe it was that Jill wanted to show both Eustace and (mostly) herself that she was a brave girl, and that she was also able to do something?

I find the part where she meets Aslan very interesting. She didn't know if He would kill her, but she decided to go to the river because she was so thirsty. Her needs were bigger then her fears. That is something to keep in mind. It seems like she already then somehow trusted in Aslan. I don't know how to explain it, but I think you that read this will understand. Isaiah 30:15 - In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength.

I think that this is very special, and Mr. Lewis do have many points. I really would have appreciated to hear what other thinks, because I am so sure that there are many things I haven't thought about before.

Well, a little note about other things. It seems like things haven't changed yet. I am going to school tomorrow, so we'll See how that will be... I'm trying as hard as I can to hold my head up and look to Him. But sometimes it is so hard... I just don't know what to think right now. But thank you all for being there for me. It means a lot!

(And a little note. First, I must give credit to Jenny because it was her that gave me the idea of writing this. I will also give credit to Dana and Jeanne for the Bible verses they posted, have a helped a great deal. Thank you. ^.^ And then, I got paragraphs without having that this between them! ^.^ And I am still working on the page. I need to find the right color.)

1 Quips and Anecdotes:

Jenny Freitag sa...

Huzzah for Jill! Jill is my favourite. She and I are so much alike.

I think Lewis crafted the Experiment House and Jill's reactions off of his own experiences in the boys' school of his youth. I also think, however, that for the children reading The Silver Chair he left out a lot of the horrors he endured. So when you realize that, you feel an even deeper sympathy for poor Jill, picked on and bullied as she was.

So even though she got in trouble for showing off at the cliff, it makes sense that she felt the need to prove herself, even to Eustace. But I love how Aslan deals with her. You can feel his reproach in his dealings with her, yet at the same time you can feel his almost overwhelming patience. In like manner God forgives us, oh, how he forgives us. But for our sake he often still punishes us so that we learn our lesson and obey him better.

I particularly love their conversation at the stream. That section is just packed full of allegory.
"Will you promise not to hurt me?"
"I will make no promise."
"Do you eat girls?"
"I have swallowed up girls and boys, men and women, kings and emperors, cities and realms."
"Then I don't dare drink."
"You will die of thirst."
"I won't. I'll find another stream."
"There is no other stream."
God is not tame, there is chastisement in his hand sometimes; yet he is good, and in him is the fountain of life and it can be found no other place. I think one of the most beautiful images is Jill coming to that realization. She could not guarantee that she would not get hurt, but she knew she would /live/. ^.^

Legg inn en kommentar